Sunday, August 05, 2012

Hiatus completus.... In other words, we're back!

After a long hiatus, Ingo and I are back to blogging.  We had a difficult year with family illnesses and the death of my dear father so we put our blog on hold.  To be honest, it has been a year since Daddy passed but my heart just wasn't into it to restart.  Now that I have mourned appropriately I will endeavor to get at least one post a week out. 

We have my stepson here.  As most of you know, Ingo is a German National.  So in order to get Erik a bit more in touch with his German side we decided to have a traditional German dinner today.  I made this simple red cabbage dish.  It's a bit sweet and sour and is a perfect companion to many different main courses.  Ironically, I learned to make this dish from Ingo's brother way before I actually met Ingo.  There is a short-cut involved in it but the taste is all there.  So without further adieu I give you the recipe for it.

Rot Kohl (red cabbage)

1 jar Aunt Nell's Red Cabbage
1 Granny Smith apple (large dice)
1 sweet yellow onion (diced)


Red cabbage with Rouladen and Potato Dumplings

To a deep frying pan set over medium high heat, add 1-2 tablespoons of butter and a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.  Once the butter is melted add the apple and onion.  Liberally salt and pepper and saute until tender.  Once tender add the jar of cabbage (including juice) and simmer on low heat for an hour.

The apples and onion turn a lovely purplish shade and the sweet/sour aspect of the cabbage is divine.  We particularly like it with roasted pork.  But it was fab with the rouladen shown above.  I hope to get those two recipes out soon; however, I really deviated from the written recipes and neglected to take note.  I know, I know, shame on me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment