Thursday, July 08, 2010

Homemade Ricotta or Blessed are the cheesemakers

I am channeling my inner Monty Python....  Seriously. 
(Audience members at the back of the crowd having trouble hearing the Sermon on the Mount.)
"What was that?"
"I don't know.  I was too busy talking to Bignose."
"I think it was 'Blessed are the cheesemakers'."
"Ah, what's so special about the cheesemakers?"
"Well, obviously, it's not meant to be taken literally.  It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products."
~ Monty Python's Life of Brian

Ahhh, now that I've gotten that out of my system I am prepared to carry on.

Kase, fromage, cheese, (sorry, much to Ingo's chagrin I cannot get the Umlaut for over the "a" in kase).  We adore cheese.  A few years ago our fridge died.  We were not as concerned about actually buying a new one.  On the contrary, we were devastated that we lost over $50.00 worth of cheese.  It still brings a tear to our eyes.

As much as we love cheese, I never once thought I would actually attempt to make it.  We can easily go to Whole Foods or Fresh Market and get many delectable choices.  Even better, we can visit the Bloomy Rind at Nashville's farmer's market.  However, I found a ricotta recipe that I wanted to try to see if it would be good for our homemade pizzas or some kind of baked pasta venture.


It worked fabulously!  The texture was just right and the flavor was what I was hoping for - just creamy enough, just salty enough and begging for a place on tomorrow's dinner.  Right now my little friend is taking a much deserved rest in the fridge awaiting its destiny as part of tomorrow's evening meal.

So blessed are the cheesemakers of which I am now one.

No comments:

Post a Comment